For Divorced Parents, Which One Gets The Stimulus Money?

Contact Us
5 stars (150+)
5.0 Google Rated
100% Secure & Confidential

When Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act in March, many people were excited because they would be receiving $1,200 to help them cover expenses, they may have incurred due to the economic crisis caused by COVID-19. Parents with dependent children received even better news when this bill passed – they would get $500 in additional funds for each qualifying child. However, we need to talk about what happens if parents are divorced. Who gets the extra $500, and how will this work if yet another stimulus bill is passed?

Who gets the stimulus money?

In general, the $500 in additional funding for a qualifying child will go to the parent who claimed the child on their 2019 tax returns. A parent who did not claim a child on their tax returns will not receive payment for the child, even if they are the primary custodial parent. If 2019 taxes were not filed, then the additional $500 will go to whichever parent claimed the child on the 2018 tax return filings. 

The CARES Act payments can also affect child support in another way. If a parent owes any back child support, then their amount of money they receive from their personal $1,200 CARES Act money will be garnished accordingly, based on how much money they owe. The payment will be redirected towards the parent who receives child support.  

As we move forward through this pandemic, it is looking more and more likely that there will be additional stimulus payments made to individuals and families. Any future payments made will likely use the same criteria as the initial CARES Act payments. 

We are here for your child support needs

If you have concerns about child support payments, whether you should be receiving them or you are the one paying, you may need to seek legal assistance. At the Elliott Frazier Law Firm, our skilled and experienced team is here to help you get through this often-confusing matter. We can help with child support payment modifications as well as discuss how stimulus money should be paid out to parents. You can contact our Greenville Child support attorney for a consultation today so we can help you sort through these issues.

Elliot Frazier Logo

We look forward to serving you!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.