In Greenville, South Carolina, state premises liability laws dictate that property owners are legally responsible for keeping a reasonably safe space for lawful visitors.
If you or a loved one suffers an injury in a slip and fall accident because someone failed to uphold that duty of care, you can seek compensation for your financial, physical and emotional losses. Our Greenville slip and fall lawyer, Angela Frazier, will advocate strongly to protect your interests and ensure you have the support you need to rebuild and move forward with your life.
What Can Our Slip and Fall Attorney in Greenville Do?
Our slip and fall lawyer can build your case for you, from start to finish, doing everything legally required to prove your right to compensation for a fall.
While every case is unique, some tasks Angela Frazier and her team will perform include:
- Investigating the accident to find the evidence needed to prove negligence, including interviewing witnesses and experts
- Identifying all recoverable damages in your case to ensure you receive a fair settlement or award
- Communicating with the insurance companies and using the evidence collected to negotiate a fair settlement
- Preparing your case for trial should the insurer fail to offer a settlement that adequately covers your losses
- Handling all administrative work on your behalf
The legal process can be tedious and stressful, especially for someone with medical issues to recover from. Our Greenville slip and fall lawyer can alleviate much of that burden so victims can focus on recovering.
What Causes a Slip and Fall Accident?
Not all slip and fall accidents warrant legal action, but a property owner’s negligence contributes to the injury in many scenarios. The exact circumstances leading to an accident can vary significantly. However, common causes resulting in slip and fall cases include:
- Wet or slippery floors: Falls are often the result of recent cleaning, spills or weather conditions without proper signage or preventative measures.
- Uneven surfaces: Cracked sidewalks, potholes and irregular flooring are hazards and a business owner’s responsibility to fix.
- Cluttered walkways: Obstacles or debris in high-traffic areas are dangerous for visitors.
- Poor lighting: Decreased visibility in parking lots, hallways or staircases can result in accidents or crimes causing severe injuries.
- Faulty staircases: Damaged handrails, uneven steps or lack of non-slip surfaces can cause severe injuries or even death, especially for vulnerable individuals, such as seniors and children.
The circumstances leading to the cause of a slip and fall accident are a critical element of building a claim for compensation. Our attorney knows where to look for proof and how to use it to negotiate for fair compensation.
When Do You Need to Contact a Slip and Fall Attorney?
Contact a slip and fall lawyer as soon as you’re able to after the accident. Immediate action is essential for several reasons. For example, a timely consultation ensures the collection of all evidence, such as photographs of the hazard or witness statements, before changes occur at the accident site. Additionally, specific legal timelines, known as statutes of limitations, dictate how much time you have to file a lawsuit. In South Carolina, you must file a lawsuit within three years from the accident date.
Missing deadlines can prevent you from seeking compensation. Furthermore, early engagement with a lawyer provides an advantage in understanding your rights, potential compensation and the process ahead of you. If you suffered injuries, incurred medical bills or missed work due to a slip and fall incident, seeking legal counsel promptly will guide you in determining if you have a valid claim against another party and the best steps to take.
What Damages Could You Recover From a Slip and Fall Accident Claim?
Damages are the losses you sustained from the accident and your resulting injuries. These can vary significantly from case to case. However, there are expected economic and non-economic losses associated with personal injury claims.
Economic damages cover the financial losses. After a severe injury, you may face any of the following recoverable losses:
- The cost of medical expenses, including current bills and any future care required for your injuries
- The wages lost from missing work during your recovery, including future lost income and the loss of earning capacity
- Any replacement services or medical devices needed during recovery, such as childcare or in-home assistance
- All out-of-pocket expenses directly related to the accident and your injuries
As our client, our team has the resources to gather all the evidence necessary to illustrate these losses to the insurance company.
Non-economic damages are not as easily quantifiable. These include the mental and emotional damage associated with a severe injury from a traumatizing accident. For example, your attorney may request compensation for the physical pain and suffering you endured from the injuries and the medical treatment you had to take. The law also recognizes emotional distress, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment and post-traumatic stress as recoverable losses. Your attorney will identify these losses in your case and ensure you value them appropriately.
What Can You Do After the Accident to Protect Your Claim?
After a slip and fall accident, if you are physically able, if possible, take clear photographs of the accident site, capturing the hazardous conditions. Immediately seek medical attention to document and treat any injuries. You can gather witness contact information and report the accident to the property owner or manager to get an accident report. Preserve any physical evidence, like your clothing or footwear you wore, and refrain from speaking to an insurance adjustor without consulting your attorney.
Request a Consultation With Our Greenville Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, you naturally have questions about your right to compensation. Attorney Angela Frazier can help you understand the legal options available.
Elliott Frazier Family, Personal Injury & Car Accident Attorneys, LLC works with personal injury victims to ensure someone else’s negligence does not leave them financially devastated.
Contact us to schedule your free consultation today and start building your claim for the maximum settlement available. It’s our mission to be the reliable legal experts in your corner who won’t back down when your rights are on the line.